Hempstead Pump

The village pump/fountain at the bottom of Church Hill in Hempstead has been a historic feature of the village for a very long time. 

It was recorded as being the only source of fresh water in the village when drought struck in 1921 and was the only source of fresh water until domestic water pipes were installed. 

As with all old structures, they need repair from time to time, and Essex Heritage Trust contributed to the cost of the repairs with Hempstead Parish Council. Lawrence Daniels of Thaxted won the contract for the works and Gary Morrison, with expertise in ancient brickwork, kindly undertook the necessary work of cleaning, filling and restoring .